- Fresh, organic, unpasteurized, un-homogenized whole milk, ideally raw, is best.
- Drink milk warm, after bringing it to a boil. If it feels too heavy add some water.
- Add a pinch of ginger, clove, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, nutmeg, saffron etc. These spices give your Agni (digestive fire) the extra umph it needs to digest.
- Let milk be a meal or snack by itself. A cup of warm spiced milk is a great breakfast if you are not too hungry or want to lose weight. Also good before bed with nutmeg if you need help falling asleep.
- Avoid having milk with anything salty—this includes cheese. Also don’t add salt to your oatmeal if you are having it with cream. Cream soups are also out.
- Fish and milk are not advised as they compromise blood and brain tissues and lead to skin problems amongst other things.
- Avoid having milk with anything sour—including sour fruit like strawberries.
- Bananas and milk (or cream cheese …) will cause congestion and head colds. Keep this in mind when feeding children.
- Fruits that do go with milk: dates, sweet mango, or raisin. Blend them with milk, a pinch of cardamom or a dash of rose water to make a delicious milkshake.
The easiest way to make sure you are drinking milk in the proper way is to have a warmed cup of milk with spices and maple syrup as your mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack. It will keep you satisfied until your next meal and won’t make you sluggish.
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 2 cups water
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 whole cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/4-inch thick slice fresh ginger
- 3 bags Darjeeling tea or 3 tablespoons Darjeeling tea leaves (optional)
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 4 3x1/2-inch strips orange peel
- Additional cinnamon sticks (optional)
Combine first 7 ingredients in medium saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add tea bags or leaves and remove saucepan from heat. Cover pan and let mixture steep 30 minutes.
Strain liquid into another saucepan. Add sugar to tea. Bring to simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves. Divide tea among 4 glasses. Garnish with orange peel strips and additional cinnamon sticks, if desired.